Friday, April 22, 2016

Marks & Strokes: the things


As promised I'm sharing with you some of the things I used during this project of exploring marks and strokes. I've been exploring this for some time now–line, mark, texture, shape. You would have seen some of this exploration playing out in my sketch book postings. The pencil, brush and ink, paint, pen, markers...but late last year I posted a sketch book drawing (Together) on Facebook and my friend Wendell McShine gave me some advice to experiment with different tools other than a brush.

I got very excited about this because I felt like he understood what I was trying to do and it forced me to look deeper at my work. So my new tools became anything and everything I could use to make a mark. Eventually I settled on a few and the image above shows some of the tools I selected and the marks I created. I even numbered the sticks so I could record properly what I used and the results. It felt like a science project and I wanted to store everything in a container and a bottle which made this whole process refreshing.

I'll be posting some of the images I created from this process, some I've posted on my sketch book page. Also I'll explain what I used for each image I created and what I learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment