Saturday, August 30, 2014

Undiscovered Connections

The thing I've learnt about writing and working on different projects at the same time is that stories and themes do overlap. I've always been fascinated with that part of writing when a story or theme return in various ways and it leaves me wondering why it returned.

In 2012, I began a weekly diary comic talking about my daydreams, my frustrations, my revelations and transitions, trying to sort out every question I was asking myself. The diary comic also gave me an outlet to talk about the everyday emotions tied into the production of work as an artist. These emotions are at its highest when just starting out to make a mark in whatever chosen profession. But the journey is never clear or written in predictable steps and there are many distractions that cloud the process of knowing oneself. 



For my final year project at CCS, I created the first chapter (24 pages) of a comic called Waiting for Marissa, about a girl in her twenties having issues with her boyfriend. The entire story was her narrating about her regrets, their arguments and the expectations from others for the relationship. Although the main character, Marissa, wasn't an artist in the story, writing about a girl in her twenties lingered with me.



              

So in 2013, when I began Undiscovered, my intention was to make it an extension of the diary comic over four panels instead of one. It soon became about the angst of a girl named Danielle who's in her twenties struggling with her doubts and fears of becoming an artist. She represents for me the things I want to talk about or sometimes the things I might be afraid to talk about but feel I need to say anyway. I really want her to be that voice who'll help someone in their own discovery, whether the reader is twenty-something or not. And right now I'm just really enjoying the space Danielle has given me to do that.


2 comments: